Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Beginner Resistance Training Plan


First, I met my 2500 FP goal both yesterday and today.  Woot!

Eating was a bit off, but not too bad.  We had Tuesday's meal tonight as planned, but I felt really snacky, ya know?  Ended up only eating a 100 calorie pack of cookies, so whew!  Saved by the those little chocolate striped Keebler things.

Water intake was down a bit, but fluids in general were ok.

I was very tired all day today - even had a nap after work.  I still got in the 30 minutes on the treadmill @ 3.0 mph though.  That's an increase from my usual 2.5 - 2.8mph.  I even sweated a bit.

At my age, I know I probably won't have this body, but I can sure try

Now, on to the Training Plan...

I realized yesterday as I was working out that I would only work each muscle group once every 7 days.   I feel that's just too long and that there should be a shorter interval between working those muscles.  So, I did some research and I found that it's okay to work all muscle groups with a rest day in between.   Therefore, I have a new plan:

(Adapted from Body Builder website's Beginner Weight/Strength Training Workout)

Cardio warm-up for 5-10 minutes

Weight Training:
Two sets of 8-12 reps with enough weight heavy enough to barely make the entire set (muscle fatigue)
Work muscle groups in order from largest to smallest

Quads:  Seated press / Leg extensions
Hamstrings:  Front Leg Raise / Ball Leg Curl
Calves:  Calf raises
Back:  Lat pulldowns
Chest:  Bench Press / Chest Fly
Triceps:  Tricep Pushdown
Biceps:  Bicep Curls
Shoulders: Seated Press
Abs:  Ball crunch / Reverse crunch

I will be doing these exercise on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I may decide later to break these groups out into several days per week, but I cross that bridge when I can RUN over it instead of crawl =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...