Thursday, May 30, 2013

Diets in Review

So, let's just say today didn't go very well - ok it just plain sucked.  And now let's move on.

Imagine happier thoughts of past diets that didn't work so well.  Ok, not much happier is it?  That's ok - let's change things up a bit - I will tell you one thing I know about the program and at least one positive thing about each one (on the ones I haven't tried, I'll just tell you one positive thing that I've heard of, ok?).

Alphabetically...

Atkins - almost completely cuts out carbs and focuses mostly on proteins.  I haven't tried it but I saw it work very well for a friend.  I'm a carb addict, so this diet was never for me.

Biggest Loser - Is there anyone who hasn't seen this show?  It's amazing.  I strive to have the heart and determination of some of these people.  I don't know if there's an actual Biggest Loser weight loss program out there, but it's worth mentioning the show if for nothing other than motivation.

Body for Life - This one I know well.  I lost 30 pounds in 2003 on this one.  It definitely works.  It balances proteins and carbs in a doable program.  It also incorporates exercise in a way that makes sense.  Nicely structured.

Choose to Lose - Chris Powell is the spokesperson for this one.  I think I bought the book because he's so stinkin' adorable and he helps the "super obese" become healthy.  I saw his show "Extreme Makeover - Weight-loss Edition" and figured I'd check out his plan.  Well, let's see.  The foods to eat on this program are really really healthy.  And he does this thing called "carb cycling."

Diet Solution Program - I tried this one for about a week,  but it didn't really stick.  Basically, you find your "metabolic type," either protein, carb or mixed type based on a quiz in the book.  The one positive thing I can say about it is they really knew how to market their product!

Fit2Fat2Fit - I heard about this one accidentally in an online headline.  "Personal Trainer gains weight to feel what it's like to be overweight."  Amazing right?  It really is.  I found this just before he started the "fit" phase.  It's all online and is completely free.  He lists his and his wife's diet and exercise plus blogs about the experience.

Grapefruit Diet - I've not tried this one, but my dad did back in the 80s.  He did lose weight - about 8-10 pounds.  One good thing is that it only last for 12 days.

Juice Master Diet - Jason Vale is a fantastic motivational speaker.  I made it to day 3 of the juice fast.  Lost 5 pounds.

Weight Watchers - Like the Biggest Loser, is there anyone who hasn't heard of Weight Watchers?  I haven't tried it, but it must work because millions of folks have lost weight using their services.

That's about it for my list.  I wasn't trying to be all inclusive - just talking about programs I've done or thought about doing.  Without pointing out specifics, I have to say that I'm the type of person who needs structure.  That's why I have to plan my menus and workouts.  If I have them written down as goals, I'm more likely to do it.

I think after reviewing all of these programs, I've come to a conclusion.  I am a picky eater.  If the foods a program suggests don't taste good to me, then I already have a problem.  It has to be easy to follow and most importantly - maintainable.

So, talk to me folks, which programs have you tried (assuming you've tried one) or have thought about trying?  If they didn't work for you, why do you think that is?  Or if they worked, why did they work?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...