Monday, May 20, 2013

First Post - Losing the negativity

I'm starting this blog, as I think many others have, to document my journey toward fitness.  I've tried over and over and over again for the last 5 years to get fit but failed.  Honestly let's not get all PC, I want to lose weight - there I said it.  Yes, I want fitness and health too, but really I just want this sack of flab gone!

I've lost my motivation somewhere along the way and it seems like every week now all I can do is complain about my failure to yet again - eat right, exercise or make any choice that even seems remotely healthy.  

Whew!  Ok, don't worry, I'm losing the negativity today.  

That's step one:  Lose the negativity.

How can we ever expect to accomplish anything positive or make a positive change if all we do is sabotage ourselves with bad attitudes.  Right?  I mean seriously - I know that if I've got the knowledge, skills, and abilities, I can do anything I set my mind to - leaving off stuff like rocket science and growing green things of course.  Actually, I'm trying that last one this year - more on that later.

So, today is May 20, 2013.  I weighed in this morning - after breakfast unfortunately, but it was small - and I'm starting this thing off at 225 lbs.  I'm 5'7" so I feel that my goal weight is around 145.  I really love lists and charts and such, so you'll probably be seeing some of that in the future.  But for now, if I go by the current suggestion of 2 lbs per week, it will take 40 weeks (around 10 months) to reach my goal.  That's a lot of weeks, but I didn't get here overnight, so I know it's a journey.  So hey, let's mark the calendar now... the 24th of February will be 40 weeks from today.  

Some folks believe that if you write out your goals as if you actually will accomplish them (what a concept) then you are more likely to achieve them.  That said...

GOAL!
By February 24th, 2014, I will reach my goal weight of 145 lbs.

Also, there's the old adage of "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail."  Therefore, I will be posting my exercise and meal plans for each week AND whether or not I stick to them.  

On the nutrition side of this, I don't really want to count calories because I want this to become something I can do from now on, not just 'til I lose the weight, ya know?  However, I may find myself doing so, just not sure yet on the calorie thing.  I'm hoping that just knowing and controlling portion sizes and avoiding super fatty and super sugary foods will be enough for the nutrition side.  

As for exercise, I'm buying a treadmill... TODAY.  I don't know what brand or where or any details yet, but that's what I'm doing today while I'm out grocery shopping - buying a treadmill.  

Also, I live in Colorado Springs.  The air here is lacking a bit of... oh what's the word... oh yeah, OXYGEN!!!  Climbing just one flight of stairs wipes me out.  Yesterday, I was going to mow my yard and thought I was gonna have a heart attack just getting the mower out of the shed!!  So that's where I'm at physically.  I can walk, but running?  Probably not right away and maybe not ever because I hate running!!!!  The last time I ran and loved it was elementary school - that's right - prior to puberty!!  Actually I was like the fastest kid in my grade - what happened?  Oh right, I forgot, puberty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...