Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This could be me!!

For the last few weeks, I've been reading several healthy/weight loss blogs and recently, I read something that struck me as pretty profound...

In this particular blog - "Diary of an Aspiring Loser" - Michelle has been on a 5 year journey to get fit, lose weight, etc.  (keep in mind she had a couple babies during this time as well).  Anyway, she frequently says stuff that just makes total sense to me.  I don't know where she gets it, but here's what I read yesterday...

But wait!!  First, a little background - she started the blog in 2007 and I've been catching up to present day by reading a few months at a time.  I'm up to 2012 now just as she's about to hit her goal weight:



This isn't Yosemite, but it's still a beautiful place to hike.  (Estes Park, CO)
At this point in the blog, she's like 5 pounds from her goal of 145 lbs and she already hit her BMI goal the week prior.  In this particular post, she's talking about backpacking/camping with a group of women in the Yosemite Nat'l Park - a 6 or 7 mile hike with an elevation gain of <I think> about 2000 ft...

"Taking off that pack felt like such a relief.  I was so pleased with how my body handled the work.  Things like this would have been completely outside of my ability in years past.  Heck, I don't know if I could have done this even last year before I started exercising again.  But today I am strong and fit and capable and look at what I can do!  People might think that "diet and exercise" is hard work, too much trouble, not worth the effort...but the payoff is huge.  I spent three days exploring pristine beauty that I would never have been able to see had I not worked to turn my body into something that could take me to these places.  It's harder to remember this when it's 9pm and I'm craving large amounts of ice cream, but trips like this make the connection so clear and strong."

Nice, huh?  And so true.  I suppose one could say that you can experience exploring that pristine beauty virtually or even by car in some areas, but I feel like there's something to be said for using the body God gave us to experience His creation.

Another quote I read on her blog that I like using is "If hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution."  I use that a lot - really.  Thanks Michelle!!

Anyway, just thought I'd share.  


As for my day today, it went pretty well.  I had a last minute change in dinner plans and went to Olive Garden to celebrate a friend's birthday (Happy Birthday D!) and ate way more than I should.  It was all very tasty and I don't feel bad about it, just very full and sleepy!!  I had the traditional OG salad (2 small bowls - no olives - yuck!) and there wasn't a lot of dressing.  Had to have one breadstick!   I also ordered the Bruschetta and ate all but maybe 4 slices of the bread - it was SOOOOooo good.  I'd like to think that the veggies balanced out all that bread, but somehow I doubt it.  To make me feel even better about my choices though, I had ice water to drink.  Had I known I was going, I'd have cut back on lunch a bit, but oh well, this is life and I refuse to give up fun & friends for calories.  I did however....

NOT have donuts at work today!!!! YAY!!  How many weeks straight is that?  Oh, I know I know - SIX!  Another Donut Wednesday notch in my belt.   

In the realm of physical activity, I am extremely very close to 2500 Nike Fuel points and it's only 7pm.  Plus my 30 minutes on the treadmill will take place shortly after I finish this post.  Water intake was pretty good today, but not as good as yesterday.  I'll be sure to drink more water while on the treadmill though!  My goal for this week is to get those 2500 points 5 days in a row.  I can do this!!

So far:
Mon:  3626
Tue:   2605
Wed:  ???? (It isn't over yet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...