Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fitting in Exercise on "Busy Days"

Do you skip exercise because it's been one of those days? I have.  Of course, had I known it was going to be one of those days, maybe I would have gotten out of bed earlier.  


"Morning people" - uggghhh I'm so jealous =p
Oh, who am I kidding?  Honestly, I doubt I would.  I am NOT a morning person.  Work starts for me at 6am and I have to drive 40 minutes to get there, I don't do mornings gracefully AND I don't get out of bed any earlier than I have to.  Therefore, exercising before work is a very unlikely option for me.  I'm a night person, so I typically would rather exercise at 9pm over 4am ANY day!  Not everyone is like me though - some of you morning people (grrrr!) can get up at like 3:30am, knock out some exercise, grab a shower, have some breakfast, and even catch up on some news while enjoying a cup of coffee - all before leaving for work.  Then, if you DO have a busy day, your workout is already done.  Well, that's the perfect world in which I do not live - wish I did!!! But alas, it is not to be =(

Seriously though, when and how do we fit exercise in on THOSE days?  Those days that are so crazy, you've already pulled your own hair out and now the dog is hiding?  When your "To Do" list has its own To Do list?  I know it's ok to miss a workout - it's not the end of the world.  But if I go down that road and miss one and then another and... well, you get the point.  I don't want to be a snowballing workout skipper!!  

Ok, ok, don't panic - let's just brainstorm here...
1) Exercise early (already said that, even if I can't do it maybe you can)

2) Exercise late - might as well throw that in - lots of controversy on working out right before bed, but it's better than nothing, right?

3) Exercise while at work - go for a walk during lunch (if it's not a million degrees outside - of course the mall is always an option for A/C

4) Set a permanent "appointment" for exercise time - only cancel in emergencies - NOTE TO SELF:  grocery shopping should not be deemed an "emergency" 

5) ok.... I don't know what else... anyone... Bueller?

I realized I didn't post anything on my exercise from the last few days... don't want you thinking I've been slacking!!

Training
On Monday, geocaching didn't happen again due to weather, but I was busy running errands all day anyway.

Yesterday, I did resistance training - the whole workout (including stretches - yay!).  I've been keeping track of the weights in a notebook so I can add as it gets easier.  So far, the only area I have problems with reaching muscle fatigue is my back.  I'm doing lat pulldowns and "lawn mower pulls" but both just wear out my shoulders/arms before my back ever really engages.  I may have to switch to something different.  Any suggestions?

Today is treadmill day @ 3.0-3.2 mph @ a 2.0-2.5 incline for 30 minutes - I was able to bump up the speed and incline for about 15 minutes before my calves almost refused to continue.  Since I had dinner and jour before, I just did stretching and left out core work (again).  I figured out that when I do remember to stretch after a workout, I'm not near as sore the next day.  

Change Up
I'm thinking of doing 3 resistance training days each week instead of only 2 and change my Monday goal to getting that 2500 points in Nike Fuel but still geocaching or bike riding.  The new resistance day will be Saturday.  The plan will be to do two exercises for each targeted muscle group.  Right now, I do two for some, but not all - mostly due to time constraints.  It's taking me about 1.5 hours to complete the Tues/Thurs training.  If I split it all up, I will be able to cut the time down to about an hour, while bumping up the training a bit and of course, adding in a bit more cardio to the Saturday mix.  

If you do resistance training, which muscle groups do you work together?

Alrighty then, until tomorrow!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...