Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Peanut Brittle Protein Shake (using almond milk)


I posted the recipe yesterday and today had it for my afternoon snack.  It is sooooooo good!  And quite filling too.  I hadn't tried almond milk before - I'm impressed.  I decided to plug in the numbers to check the damage - it is surprisingly... not bad:

Calories: 235
Fat: 12
Carbs: 13
Protein: 23
Sugar: 3

Today was a very good day.  Fairly busy at work, but not so much that I couldn't take a couple of walks during the day.  Eating and water intake was according to plan - YES!!  After I got home from work, I relaxed for a few (with my Peanut Brittle Protein Shake), then got right into exercise.

First up was a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill @ 3.0mph.  I hadn't reset the treadmill from last time, so the incline is still at 2.0.  It wasn't too hard, though next time I'm going to wear the HRM so I know where I am realistically at this level of perceived exertion.  Typically, I was around 125 with the treadmill level - I'm curious to see what it is with an incline.

After the warm-up, I did the normal training plan with some minor changes.  Instead of 8-10 reps, I was able to do 2 sets of 12 reps on all but one exercise (ball leg curls - made it to 9 in the second set).  I was really close to muscle failure on most of my second sets and I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

Other changes:

I switched some of the more difficult exercise of a muscle group to first instead of last in the hopes of working the muscle to the fullest.

Calf raises got a minor change.  Instead of simple "standing" calf raises, I did the first set "angled" and then moved to a stair with a  20lb dumbbell and did 12 reps on each leg separately.  Finally!! A challenge for the calves - my entire body weight plus 20lbs, on a stair.

Increased resistance by 5 on the Lat pulldowns and added a couple sets of "lawn mower pulls" to work more of my back.  I used dumbbells for each set.  This felt like it worked shoulders and triceps quite well, but I still need a back challenge... any suggestions?

Increased resistance by 5 on the bench press.  These became much harder, but still doable.

Increased db weight on bicep curls

Used db instead of BowFlex for Seated Shoulder press - FEEL THE BURN BABY!!

Speaking of BowFlex, I really like it, really, but I don't think the resistance rods are directly proportional to actual free weight.  I doubt it really matters as long as a good resistance is given and can be increased.  I mention this because I seriously doubt I'm be able to bench press over 100 pounds in free weight, but I can do 2 sets on the BowFlex.  I think I may be able to do 40.  Anyway, no way to know until I get back to the gym - which btw, may happen next month!  We shall see.

Hope everyone had a fantastically healthy and sweaty Tuesday!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...