Thursday, November 7, 2013

Strength Training - Gotta Write it Down

On my first day of the triathlete training plan, strength training didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped.  I didn't consider that "legs" are more than one exercise, so I was thinking - "legs, back and abs - 2 exercises each times 2 - no problem."  Uhhhh, no.  There are at least 5 worked muscles for the legs x2 exercises equals 10 and x2 sets is 20!!!  Back exercises aren't as bad, but there's still upper and lower back, that's another 8 sets.  Finally, with abs, there are upper, lower and obliques.  All those sets can make for quite the extended strength training session.  Even worse would be not writing it all down!  Unfortunately, I didn't write down anything in advance.

Yesterday's workout was much better planned.  While I wasn't sure which machines would be available, I outlined the workout before I went so at least I knew what to look for in the machine area.  Then, on the rests between sets, I wrote down the actual machine and how much weight I used.  Here's the scoop:

Month 1 Week 1 Day 2 - 65 minutes

Lift: Shoulders, Chest, and Abs. 2 sets of 10-12 reps for 2 exercises each body part.
Bike: 30-35 minutes indoors on upright stationary bike.  Stick with upright bike - you burn more calories on an upright bike as the position forces you to work against gravity.  Use a program and add hills in this routine. 5-minute cool down.
Stretch:  10-15 minutes of of FULL BODY stretching!

Bike Workout Summary:
Stationary, upright bike on a random hill setting @ level 7 for 30 minutes plus a 5-minute cool down.

220 calories, 7.14 miles, climbed 2680 ft, averaged 4:54 min/mile & avg HR 108.

Screenshot:

Strength Training (Lift):
Shoulders
1) Seated Press 12 @25 x2 (in case my shorthand needs translation - that's 12 reps at 25 lbs done two times)
2) Delt Machine 12 @10 x2

Chest
1) Upright Fly machine 12 @ 25 x2
2) Chest Press 12 @ 20 x2

Abs
1) Crunch Machine 12 @ 30 x2
2) Crunches 12 x1
3) Leg lifts 12 x2
4) Cross body crunches 12 x2

Stretching: 
Full body 20-30 seconds per muscle



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...