Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Bike Computer Mod

First thing this morning, I rolled out of bed and got on my bike (which now has a very comfy seat if you haven't seen yesterday's post).  I didn't have a lot of time but I got in a quick workout before work. I'm not a huge fan of getting up earlier to exercise, but I do like not having to worry about it later.  

I guess I mostly just climbed on the bike this morning because I couldn't wait to use the new seat AND the new bike computer.  You won't believe the modification I had to do.  Right out of the box, I realized that this computer was meant to be installed on the front tire, not the back.  The front tire would be fine, but the bike is on a trainer so the front tire doesn't move - not much use for the computer there.  I thought about returning it, but I figured I could make it work on the rear tire.  


Well, here's the thing about rear tire installation.  According to the instructions, there should be a 5-millimeter gap between the sensor and spoke magnet.  The problem is the gears are in the back so the frame extends around them and therefore further from the tires.  The sensor is attached to the frame.  There's probably an inch gap between the frame and the tire - pretty far from 5mm.  I started looking around for a filler.  

I found it!  The instruction manual folded in half will work nicely.  The tire doesn't rub the wire and the wire is still long enough to install in a decent location.  This was a relatively easy installation and will be easy to move to the front tire when it's time to hit the road.  Here are a couple pics of the final product.  





Here's a link to Amazon where I got it for $18.71.  It's called "Cateye Velo 9 Cycling Computer"

Now, on to the other fitness stuff.  This was how I fit it in...

FITNESS: (at oh-dark-thirty)
10 Minutes bike 1.5 miles
10 Minutes treadmill .5 mile
50 100-ups

FOOD
Breakfast:
Kashi Go Lean Crunch w/unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Lunch: 
SmartOnes Fettucini Alfredo w/Broccoli

Dinner: 
Pork Au Jus, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and salad

Snack:
Handful Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts
WW Lemon Cake





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...