Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Dreaded Menu Planning Day

Why do I always wait until Sunday to plan my menu for the week?  I just want the last day before going back to work to be relaxing, ya know?  Well, I suppose it is better than waiting until the middle of the week.  But what comes after the planning?  Ughh!  The shopping.  I dislike shopping almost as much as doing laundry.

Ok, enough of the whining, I'll just get it done.

I was all set to follow the weekly menu plans in a book I'm reading called "Just Tell Me What to Eat" by Timothy Harlan.  I sooooo want to follow all the meal plans in this book!  But unfortunately, I know I won't.  It's just too much cooking for me.  After working a 12-hour shift, I have to be honest with myself and know it just won't happen and that we'll end up eating out.  Eating out for me equals spending too much money and poor food choices.



Ah, that brings me to an interesting thing about "Just Tell Me What to Eat."  The author offers a couple other menu options in addition to cooking at home.  One is a "convenience meal" (from the grocery store's freezer section) and the other is a meal from a restaurant if you have to eat out.  Of course, he recommends cooking your own food, but stuff happens so it's nice to have options.  I'll be picking up some of the frozen meal choices for sure.  I'm also going to add a list of the restaurants/meals to my phone in case I get lazy or don't have a choice.  I'll let you know how that goes, but here are the convenience meals I'm picking up this week:



I've never tried either one, so I look forward to trying these and hearing what my kids have to say.  Speaking of my kids, I can't remember if I mentioned that my son has moved home.  After 4 years in the Navy, he is preparing to use his GI Bill and go to school starting in the fall.  He'll be living near the campus once he starts, but until then he's here with us.  He adds a whole new dynamic to the household, let me tell you!  After it just being me and my daughter for the last four years, it's taking some getting use to.

Ok soooooo, enough stalling.  On to the menu for this week:

Breakfast:  Kashi Go Lean Crunch w/Almond Milk or Grape Nuts w/fruit & 2% milk

Lunch:  Leftovers or a Salad Kit

Snacks (max of 2 per day):  Homemade Trailmix, Nuts, Cucumbers, Rice cakes, beef jerky, or fruit

Dinners:

Michael Angelo's Italian Natural Cuisine Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli
Lean Cuisine Lemon Pepper Fish
Asian Peanut Chicken with Noodles (recipe from "Just Tell Me What to Eat")
Skillet Tostadas (see Recipe page)
Grilled Burgers on wheat w/(baked) Sweet Potato Fries
BBQ Chicken Pizza (recipe from "Just Tell Me What to Eat")

Since this is turning out to be a bit of a book review, I'll mention a couple more things I've read in the book.  While they are by no means new concepts, I just enjoyed these reminders…


  • Keep a food and exercise journal
  • Weigh in


So yeah, not new at all, but definitely an area where I've been slacking.  I will begin posting daily (M-F) in an effort to begin anew, my actual food and exercise.  Weigh-in days will be Saturday for me.  I'm even thinking of starting a new DietBet competition in mid September, but more on that later.

Oh, almost forgot the exercise plan!!  I'm starting out light.  This week will be either walking or biking plus some core exercises as well.  My goal is to DO SOMETHING every day!!

Well, I'm off to go shopping... <sigh>

What's your plan for the week?  Make it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...