Monday, July 8, 2013

Using Foods from CoOp

I was finally able to participate in a CoOp this past weekend.  Basically, I contributed around $15 with a bunch of other participants and asked for a basic basket.  The basic basket comes with an approx 50-50 mix of fruits and veggies.  This week, here's what I received:

Lettuce
Broccoli
Purple onions
Eggplant
Grapes
Mangos
Bananas
Pineapple
Plums
Peaches
Sm watermelon (about the size of a cantaloupe)

So, now I need to figure out how to incorporate these fruits and veggies into my meal plan.  It shouldn't be too difficult.  The lettuce will be used for salads and the broccoli as a side.  The grapes, peaches and plums will be snacks throughout the week.  I'm the only one in the house who enjoys watermelon, but I'm thinking it'll be a nice snack on a warm evening.  I love fresh pineapple, but this one isn't quite ripe, and neither are the bananas.  The mangos are iffy, but I was thinking of making a mango/pineapple salsa if they ripen around the same time.  If not, maybe just a mango salsa and eat the pineapple separately as a yummy side.  Finally, the eggplant.  I ate eggplant as a child, but my mom fried it.  Since this is a healthy journey, I'm thinking "fried" is out.  So, I'm looking for an eggplant recipe that also won't cause my picky eater to complain.  Suggestions?  Recipes?  help?...

11 pounds GONE!!!
Alrighty then, let's back up to the weigh-in on Saturday.  If you remember, on Friday, I was worried because I had weighed in mid-week and had a bit of gain.  Well, I'm happy to say that it was gone by Saturday morning and I scored a loss of 2 pounds!!! YAY!!!

That puts me on track in the WeightLossWars competition as well!  Although in that comp, I actually had to lose 4 pounds.  Ok, sounds weird right?  What happened was, I didn't sign up for the competition until Sunday, so I had to weigh-in on Monday morning.  I forgot to weigh in until after breakfast AND the clothes I wore weren't my usual weigh-in clothes. When I got on the scale, I was 2 pounds heavier than my Saturday weight.  Sooooo, I took that into consideration when coming up with my first week's goal and figured 4 pounds should be good.  BUT!! When I weighed myself on Thursday morning (in weigh-in clothes) I was up 1 pound from the MONDAY weigh-in - WHAT?!?  So I had to lose 5 - not 2, not 4, but FIVE pounds by Saturday morning!!!  See my worry?  Anyway, it worked out so Saturday, I was right on track.  WHEW!!  Never, NEVER look at the scale mid-week - never again.

Today is usually a day for geocaching along with bike riding or walking.  But unfortunately, I'm doing yard work instead.  I usually have a guy come over every couple weeks and take care of it, but he's been a tad unreliable to say the least.  So, this week I get to do it.  I would much rather be geocaching, but the grass (weeds) are getting way too tall.  It will probably take around 3 hours to mow and weed eat the front and back yards.  I hate this because it usually makes me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack doing it, but what can you do when the person who is supposed to do it is unreliable?  You do it yourself.  <OK, rant complete> If there are any single moms reading this, then you know what I mean.  Plus, it's a chore that I just don't like.  Please wish me luck, I'll need it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...